San Isidro Delivery

San Isidro Delivery

Pages

Search

Hot Searches

Tuesday, November 29, 2011

RFU made me scapegoat - Tindall

Mike Tindall Tindall has won 75 caps for England since his debut in 2000 Mike Tindall says he has been made a "scapegoat" by the Rugby Football Union despite the decision to reinstate him to England's Elite Player Squad.

The former England captain also had his fine reduced, but has criticised the way the RFU dealt with the situation.

"I accept the decision but maintain the level of fine is not in line with other RFU disciplinary cases," he said.

Tindall, 33, had been punished after a controversial night out early in the World Cup campaign.

The RFU decided Tindall "did not intentionally mislead team management" when he said he could not remember his movements that night and he subsequently had his fine reduced from £25,000 to £15,000 on appeal.

Continue reading the main story
I have felt throughout the disciplinary process that my case was made unnecessarily political and public by the RFU and that I ended up being made a scapegoat

England centre Mike Tindall

"I absolutely accept my share of responsibility for what happened in Queenstown and that I drank too much that night," admitted Tindall.

"It unfortunately created a level of media interest which was an unwanted distraction for myself, my team-mates, Martin Johnson and his staff. I can again only apologise unreservedly for this.

"[But] I am deeply disappointed by the way the RFU has chosen to handle the situation.

"I have felt throughout the disciplinary process that my case was made unnecessarily political and public by the RFU and that I ended up being made a scapegoat," said Tindall, who is married to the Queen's granddaughter Zara Phillips.

"The decision goes some way to reflect a fairer assessment of what actually happened during the World Cup. It had been suggested that I intentionally misled people in relation to the events in Queenstown and I am pleased following this appeal process that it has been made clear that I did not do so."

Acting RFU chief executive Martyn Thomas, who said on Monday that Tindall's behaviour had fallen "way below that to be expected of somebody of his calibre and experience", conceded that "mitigating factors" had not been sufficiently considered.

Thomas, who on Tuesday stepped down from his RFU role, added that Tindall had been "relying on other people's versions of events which were relayed to him" about the night in question.

Tindall, who has won 75 England caps, is satisfied that the saga has been resolved and is looking forward to playing again.

"I feel somewhat vindicated by the decision to reinstate me back into the Elite Player Squad," he added in a statement released through the Rugby Players' Association.

"It is the ultimate honour to play for your country and I am proud and privileged to have done this for over 11 years. I have always put my heart and soul into playing for England."


View the original article here

No comments: